The Sirui ‘W’ Range is the only Waterproof tripod in the market
“Waterproof” & “Dustproof” refers to the locking rings on the legs. Sirui makes it clear that you should clean your legs after immersion in water – especially sea water. I’ve destroyed a few tripods by not following the “clean the legs” after immersion advice! These ruined tripods were not waterproof though. I live by the coast and my tripod is immersed in seawater on a regular basis.
Just hoping you can ignore the: ‘clean after immersion in the water’ is not an option – especially sea water.
- It’s affordable, compared to the competition.
- Its leg lock rings are water and dust proof.
- It’s not too heavy. 3.1 lbs/1.4 kilos
- It comes with a padded bag – a big plus.
- One of the legs can be detached to be used as a Monopod.
- It comes with a spare mounting platform, for use with the detachable Monopod.
- The rubber feet can be removed (by unscrewing), and replaced with metal spikes.
- Twist lock rings are easier to use with gloves.
- Automatic leg-angle lock mechanism for speed and convenience – independently lock legs into place at three different angles: 23°, 52° & 80°.
- Minimal diameter difference between each leg section for greater overall stability
- The tube circumferences are quite small, compared to the competition.
- If you use the full centre column, the split between the two parts doesn’t quite line up as is should, making it difficult to lower and, higher. See pictures below.
- If you don’t use the centre column, it is very easy to lose the spring-loaded hook, as it becomes loose easily
The height measurements for the Sirui W series tripods are as follows
W-1004 (Aluminium) & W-1204 (Carbon Fibre) – Max Height (without the Centre Column extended) – 136 cm/53.5 in – 4 ft 5.5 inches
W-2004 (Aluminium) & W-2204 (Carbon Fibre) – Max Height (without the Centre Column extended) – 147 cm/57.9 in – 4 ft 10 inches
As of October 2017, Sirui appears to be the only manufacturer of Waterproof tripods.
Eighteen months of use, and I am very happy with my purchase.
Compared to any Gitzo I’ve owned, I have to say it’s not solid and as well engineered. The tubing is much smaller in circumference, and the Sirui doesn’t have the feel of a Gitzo. I realise this comparison is arbitrary, and difficult to back up with hard facts. But, the Sirui does not feel as well made compared to a Gitzo tripod I’ve owned. The Gitzo tripods though are twice the price.
I’ve got what I paid for, and what I’ve paid for is a waterproof tripod. In this respect, the Sirui W-1204 has not let me down.
Here is a picture of the Sirui W-1204 without the centre column. I prefer to keep the centre column off the tripod. But, there’s one drawback. With the centre column off, I have to remove your ball head to fit the tripod in its own bag.
With centre column attached
Here’s the tripod with the centre column extended, notice the join. Getting rid of the gap between the two parts is not easy. The join can cause the centre column to stick when extending and lowering.
Here are my measurements of the tripod – with the centre column extended, and without the centre column. Allow for 1-centimetre tolerance. Though the measurements are pretty much as advertised.
Sirui W-1204 Tripod Height with the centre column fully extended
Sirui W-1204 with centre column removed
Close up of the mounting plate, (there is a spare plate). The screw is Reversible 1/4″-20 & 3/8″-16, which can accommodate most cameras. There is a spirit bubble level which can be difficult to see when the head and camera are attached.
Sirui W-1204 Water and Dustproof seals.
The waterproof seals seem to work. I’ve certainly immersed the tripod many times in sea water. But, you must clean the legs after immersion in water, especially sea water.
I’ve also used the tripod on sand dunes with very fine sand. I was concerned that the sand will get into the seals – it didn’t.
Sirui W-1204 detachable Monopod
Sirui W-1204 tripod with monopod leg removed. Personally, I have never used the Monopod.
The normal configurations apply, you can reverse the centre column for instance.
Sirui W-1204 padded carry bag
The padded carry bag is of good quality. Personally, I always have my tripod in the bag when I’m not using the tripod.
Sirui W-1204 Spares
The spares that ship with the tripod is:
- Foot Spikes – which are screwed on,
- Spare mounting plate with a screw, presumably for the detachable monopod leg.
- Alum Key
- Carrying strap for the detachable monopod leg.
- There is also a spare spring mounted hook, for use when you don’t use the centre column (not pictured).
I totally recommend this tripod. Personally, the taller models are not for me, as I’m five foot nine inches tall (176 cm). Even without the centre column, it works fine for me. There are some very good deals on eBay at the moment, shipping from China. I bought my Sirui W-1204 from China. The tripod arrived within 5 days. The prices of the Tripod sold from China are significantly cheaper than anything I’ve seen in Europe, or even the USA.